Sunday, April 28, 2019

On moving to Patreon




I will be moving the posts you have been seeing on Blogger to Patreon.  I do not plan to put all of my posts behind the Patreon paywall.

I am doing this to enable some income from people who want to support me.  I am putting power in my reader's hands.  I promise that whatever time is freed up from this income will be spent at the keyboard.  There's nothing I want more in life.  If no one signs up, I'll continue to write as much as I do now, it will just be published over at Patreon instead of Blogger for the foreseeable future.

For example, I support Linda Tirado on Patreon.  Linda is an excellent and insightful writer on the intersection of poverty and politics in America because she has been poor, very poor, herself.  Instead of co-opting her views to work for the man, she has clawed her own way to success and fame following her own rules and working for her own purposes.  She doesn't charge her readers for her writing, she just gives them the option of chipping in.  She's a role model for me.

My plan is to provide (almost exclusively) free access via Patreon with a few articles behind the paywall (all subscribers, even at $1/month will see them).  I am pay-walling my sensitive content only--pieces I might not want a nosy HR person to stumble upon with an automated search when I apply for a job.  My posts about sex and cannabis probably shouldn't be so readily searchable while I still may have a future in the more conservative pockets of health care.

Many of you read my writing because it is e-mailed to you by MailChimp from a link you probably filled out on my web page (if not, see below).  This works auto-magically for me.  An email has been going out at 4 am local time with every new post.

The same thing will happen with my Patreon posts.

TLDR:
  • Your MailChimp email subscription will continue to work.  It will stay free.
  • If you're seeing this post on Blogger at the top of my feed and are wondering why I've suddenly gone quiet, check Patreon.
  • I want money for my writing so I can spend more time doing it.  If I can someday support myself 100% as a writer I will consider my life, and everything I've ever done to get to where I am, a satisfying success.  It really is that simple.  If it never happens, there will simply be less writing available after I die.

Thanks for reading.  Please continue to do so even if you are disinterested in parting with a penny of your money for it.  Without you, I can't be a writer, at all, even in my spare time.  Thanks.

Become a Patron!

If you're interested in the MailChimp subscription, use this form below:

Subscribe

* indicates required








Email Format