Sunday, December 30, 2007

The problem with Hillary.

I have been very happy with Hillary Clinton as my Senator. When she originally ran, I preferred her over her opponent, but I wasn't thrilled to vote for her. I didn't know her well, I was as put off by her manner as anyone else. I knew the suspicions about her true motives and her ruthless pursuit of partisan values.

That has changed. She has shown up for the job. Everything I've seen that has been her initiative has been wise public policy, efficiently executed and well communicated. I highly recommend her as a public servant and I think she would probably make an excellent President.

But I don't think we should nominate her.

Why? Because we'd be doing the same thing to the Republicans in this country that they did to us with George W. Bush, i.e, forcing a person we intensely dislike down our throats by virtue of persuasion of a few apathetic "independent" voters who get all of their political education in 30-second TV commercials. We need a President who connects to people on both sides of the aisle. If the Democrats win next November, the Republicans deserve a President who doesn't inspire intense feelings of dislike and disgust.

So, when my turn comes, I am going to cast my vote for someone else because I don't want Republicans in this country to be as alienated from the executive branch as I have been for the last 8 years.

I just hope the person who wins a plurality takes office.