Tuesday, June 12, 2012

North Myrtle Beach, SC

I rarely get a chance to go somewhere I've never been before unencumbered by a tour, agenda, sight-seeing list, or must-visit list to complete.  This week I have been enjoying such an experience in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.  This is my first visit to the area, and my first visit to South Carolina.

When I was young my family vacationed on the Gulf Coast of Texas, on an area called Mustang Island.  North Myrtle Beach reminds me very much of that community in some ways; I imagine that in the 1960's this area probably very closely resembled Mustang Island.  I have no recent experience of Mustang Island to compare to what I see around me now.

There's a lot of golf played around here, which seems fitting since this is likely a place where it is very easy to maintain turf.  There's a mix of legacy coastal middle-class with imported vacation-home new-money.  I am staying in one of those vacation homes, within 50 yards of the Atlantic Ocean.  

I would be able to see the ocean from the second floor screened-in porch on which I composed this post if it weren't for a behemoth of a beach-front home being constructed by a NASCAR tire magnate.  I think that is sadly fitting.