Tuesday, June 2, 2015

How to lose a Happy Customer

Yesterday, I need to log-in to my web host.  I lease space on my web-host's servers to provide web-sites for myself and a number of other people.  My web-host is a very progressive, highly-skilled and innovative company.  They provide multi-factor authentication, a method for protecting my account from unauthorized persons.  In short, I need my password and my phone to log-in.

I changed phones recently, losing one of the two-factors I needed to log-in.  To account for this inevitability, the service provides never-expiring back-up codes to use.  I had already logged-in previously using these codes (since changing my phone), so I only had three left.

I decided to use the link they provided on the log-in page to reset my multi-factor authentication.

I clicked it, I was asked to reset my password via a link sent to the e-mail associated with the account.  That's a perfectly reasonable request, so I did so.  It asked me for a multi-factor authentication code to complete that request, so I used one of the three I had left.

I knew my password, I didn't really want to change it, but that's on me.  I changed it, submitted one of the three codes I had, was told the change was successful, and then was directed to log-in to my account.

When I went back to log-in to the account, they required a multi-factor authentication code to complete the log-in.  I used one of the two I had left, that failed.

The only option I had left was to try the whole process again, and that used up my last code.

I was now locked-out of my account because I followed their instructions.

I started looking on the web-site and wiki for a phone number. There isn't one.

I went to submit a lost password ticket off of their website.  In order to authenticate the ticket, I had to provide the first and last four for my credit card.

I have six credit/debit cards, and a paypal account.  I have been paying by paypal, but I knew I had used one of my cards with them, but I didn't know which.  I had to submit six tickets in order to make sure at least one of them would match up.

Four hours later I got an e-mail from them admonishing me for submitting multiple tickets on the same issue.

That was the line they crossed.  I was doing what they asked me to do to the best of my ability.

I previously loved and admired this company to the extent that one can "love and admire" a company.  I have sent them many customers, tested their new systems, and have been an unpaid technical evangelist for them for a long, long time.

Today, I begin the lengthy and sad process of moving to another, probably less-capable, web-host.

Why?  I need a web-host with a phone number.  It's that simple.  I need that connection.  It's 2015, not 2050.  Web-services are not reliable break-glass procedures for unique and unanticipated customer problems.

Their re-set procedures churned through my back-up codes and did not work.  I needed to call them and tell them that.

They don't want to let me.

I know the underlying strategy here is to maximize efficiency.  I provide technical support in my job.  Most requests are best handled over e-mail.  But, everyone has my phone number.  For the hundreds of dollars a year I was paying them, they can give me one too.