Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Dear Jemele

Re:

You told the truth.  Donald Trump says and does the things that white supremacists say and do. The policies that he supports, and the people he appoints, further the goals of white supremacy, both the explicit goals and the more insidious implicit supremacy of the moderate white liberals which so frustrated MLK.  Trump's actions and speech regarding race relations and law enforcement are despicable.

For your personal well-being only, I recommend you turn your attention to one of Malcolm X's wisest utterances:

"Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today."
I am not suggesting Trump be let off the hook, or that there's any value in holding out hope that he will change, I am suggesting you abandon the notion that any human being is beyond redemption.

This is the truest rejection of white supremacy.

I adore the person whom I imagine you are from watching you on television, listening to your podcast, and reading your prose.  I am as certain as I can be without actually having met you that we would be friends, good friends.

Being a truth-teller is a hard road.  It will cost you power, money, fame, comfort and relationships.  Thank you for walking it.